There are several reasons why an error is occuring when you try to sync the Toolkit to HMRC. Work through the following steps to troubleshoot:
- Make sure you’re signed up to Making Tax Digital (MTD) and have received their confirmation email (this process can take up to 72 hours)
- Ensure you’ve entered your VAT number correctly in the Toolkit. You can do this under the VAT settings tab. Check that it matches with the UK VAT Number Register
- Check your government gateway ID and password that you used when logging into HMRC in the Toolkit:
- If you have more than one account with HMRC, ensure you’re using the correct User ID and Password details linked to your MTD account for the Toolkit
- If you have more than one user (administrator) on the HMRC account, then make sure each user has MTD assigned to them as a service. If one user signed up to MTD using their own User ID & Password details, any other users will need to have the service allocated to them. If they don’t have MTD allocated to them as a service their User ID & Password details will not work when logging in through the Business Toolkit. You can check which services are assigned to each user in their Business Tax Account.
Once you’ve followed the above steps, if you’re still having issues then get in touch with HMRC. They’ll be able to make any changes required to assign the MTD VAT account to your Business Tax Account, associated with your gateway ID.